Saturday, September 7, 2013

Week 2



Classroom Expectations
As we get to know each other and learn what is expected in first grade, we are establishing classroom expectations.  So far, we have come up with the following;
  • say nice things to each other
  • laugh with friends (not laugh at friends)
  • help each other
  • help myself learn better (pick a spot where I can learn better)
  • play together
I can see that our classroom will be a happy and safe place where everyone can learn!

Charles Butterfly Presentation
Charles from Dickinson County Nature Center came to teach us about Monarch Butterflies and their life cycle.  Here is what we learned:

Twitter & Kid Blog
Throughout the year, we will use Twitter and Kid Blog to share our voice and learning with the world.  In the past year, my students were able to connect with other first grade classes in other states and Canada to share our learning, collaborate and learn together.  I'm looking forward to many more learning opportunities this year.  You can read our Twitter feed on the right side.
Also, I have created an individual blog page for each students.  This is a place where your child can share their thinking and learning with you and the world real time.  Please take time to visit your child's blog and leave comments.  Your comments mean the world to them! Also, I encourage you to share the blog with your family members!  Kid Blog is a safe site for our students to be.  All posts and comments have to be pre approved by me before posted.  

Student Teacher
Hi, my name is Tiffany Blaser and I am Mrs. DeGroot's student teacher.  I go to Iowa State University (go cyclones!) and am working towards a degree Elementary Education. I grew up in Forest City, Iowa and I am getting married in May. I am very excited to be working with this first grade class for eight weeks! While student teaching, one of my goals is to become a more confident teacher.  Iowa State has taught me what it means to be an effective teacher and now I want to apply this in the classroom.  After only two weeks, I can already see my confidence growing as I gain experience and get to know these wonderful students. I am also very fortunate to begin my student teaching in the fall, because I am able to see an experienced teacher like Mrs. DeGroot set up classroom routines and classroom management. I am looking forward to the next weeks ahead and am so thankful for the opportunity to teach these students! 

Upcoming Events
Monday, September 9 --- DIBELS reading test 
(I will have a substitute teacher here since I will be administering the test.)
Wednesday, September 11 --- Early Dismissal @1:45

Water Helper Next Week (9/9)
Addison